Green Fox Barking

Wednesday, October 18, 2006


Today I did three things that I hope contribute to sustainability and help fight global warming. Firstly I joined a new electricity company that provides various types of green power. You can choose from solar, hydro or wind or combinations. I chose 100% solar, as I think its our most prolific asset. It will cost us about a third of our bill again expense-wise but as we are trying to always reduce our power consumption, it should all work out fine in the end. The company ( 'Origin' for any Aussies interested) is sending me an imfo pack on solar panels too which is where we hope to end up.

I also joined the Nature Conservation Council of NSW which is a non government environment organisation that conserves and promotes the environment in my state. They are also sponsering the upcoming 'Walk Against Warming' event that my family will be attending. It will give me an opportunity to listen to Greens Senator Bob Brown whom I admire greatly.

The NCC of NSW also has a link to an Organic Wine Club. Well, that'll be my Christmas Shopping done!

Then I pledged to Greenfleet which is a not-for-profit organisation that plants trees to offset the carbon emissions you make. You can choose to offset your car/s and or household and/or plane flights. We have pledged for our car and house which is 47 trees planted on our behalf. That will cost us $110- and is money very well spent I think.

Once you start looking, the things you can do personally to help the environment are many. And leading by example is much better than telling people what they should be doing. I might add though, mentioning casually what you have done is good too!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home