Green Fox Barking

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

RIGHT-LIVELYHOOD AND EMPTY SHOPPING TROLLEYS

On a daily basis, I admit to reading snippets of the book 'Your money or Your Life '.
May I add here that bathrooms make great uninterrupted reading rooms. But only if you have a second toilet. Anyway, as I watched my unhappy husband prepare to head to his personal albatross for the day (work in a large IT company )I bravely parted with my book for the day so he could read the chapter on 'what is enough'. As in what do you really need to be happy, including what work you spend your life doing and how close or far is it from where you're truly meant to be.
He rang me to say, yes, he needed to see how far off track he is really was and boy is he way, way off.
But really this is nothing we don't really know. The problem is, we have a sizable mortgage, we like where we live and we want to further improve our place in an eco sense ie get off the grid, get off mains water, produce our own electricity etc at some point not too far away. And my husbands job pays well. But he's miserable. Changing companies helps for a while but eventually office politics and red-tape and the lack of staff care get him down. What does he love? He volunteers at the local PCYC gym helping people and keeping the gym in a bit of order.
Now it seems obvious to try to get a job in this industry BUT the pay is about a third. Now, I've done the math and with a little more income from me, we could just manage but the truth is we worry we'd change one worry for another. Things would be a bit tight and unexpected costs could be serious. Still, to have the time to stop and smell the roses.... This standing at the edge of big change has lead me to read and read and read in the search of an answer. Some voice that says yep, do it or whoa there, don't go there girlfriend.But really, there is only one answer, though difficult to accept. Will the Natalie of tomorrow kick the Natalie of today or will she hug me? Stay tuned for further clumsy adventures by clueless suburbanites!

And now a word from our supermarket sponsers...
We have a few prerequisites when we go shopping at the local supermarket.
Firstly buy organic where possible, avoid chemical colours and preservatives, avoid overpackaging, buy locally where possible and avoid impulse buys. I can tell you, theres not much in my bleeding trolley! And thats without cost. Of course I don't want spend a fortune either.
Well, I looked up Organic Market locations and although there isn't one anywhere in the vicinity, I'm going to go and visit one in the city just to see what its like and also check out that co-op, also near the city. Maybe if I share a car trip with some other people it might prove worth it. We shall see....

3 Comments:

At 3:59 PM, Blogger t-da said...

your blog is certainly interesting and thought provoking, I agree this is a difficult decision.
my hubby and kids left the city and IT although not all that much money, for the country and no jobs for the first 3 months, hubby is back in IT on way less money after attempting to pursue his at the time dream, with no success, we struggle financially and I struggle with missing the city. but i love it here and the possibilities of living more sustainably, being surraounded by people who actually think about this stuff is an education, essential.
we live in a beautiful community with loads of organic choices and like minded people, unfortunately cant really afford to shop organicly that much though.
I hear you, and thanks for sharing your thoughts, it has got me thinking more along those lines. so thank you

 
At 4:00 PM, Blogger t-da said...

your blog is certainly interesting and thought provoking, I agree this is a difficult decision.
my hubby and kids left the city and IT although not all that much money, for the country and no jobs for the first 3 months, hubby is back in IT on way less money after attempting to pursue his at the time dream, with no success, we struggle financially and I struggle with missing the city.
we live in a beautiful community with loads of organic choices and like minded people, unfortunately cant really afford to shop organicly that much though.
not sure what this comment is about really, I guess just that I hear you, and thanks for sharing your thoughts, it has got me thinking more along those lines. so thank you

 
At 1:45 PM, Blogger weirdbunny said...

I buy local over organic if it's had to fly a millon miles to get to my supermarket. Of course this isn't often as my vegtavble garden is usually my visit for fruit and veg.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home