Green Fox Barking

Saturday, October 14, 2006




FINALLY DAVID SUZUKI!

Last night I finally got to go see David Suzuki and hear him speak. I didn't know he would be doing book signings and so I dashed off to purchase a book to get signed. They had sold out of the one I wanted, so I got his autobiography and dashed over with my youngest son to get it signed. It was an honour just to see him in person and I hope one day my son realises how lucky he was to meet him. We got the book dedicated to him too. David asked if he was going to read the book. Not quite yet, but Mum will read it to him. I have started reading it and it's excellent. So many interesting stories. What an interesting life he has led.
The talk was great too. Even if we did have to listen to an hour of waffle by councillors and dignitaries first. The bad thing about this too was my son was just about asleep by the time Dr Suzuki came on. The reasons he gave for not eating atlantic salmon put everyone off for life I should think. I knew about the salmon faeces polution but not about the flesh being dyed and the pellets they are fed robbing South American peoples from food.
He also beautifully described the inter-relationship of living things, using as an example the giant trees of the remaining forests of north-west United States. It would take a while to describe it all but needless to say, it showed how all the different human governing bodies, trying to look after these areas as separate entities, will fail from day one. It's all so intrinsically connected. Another reminder that the tiniest bit of damage we inflict, affects all. I am frankly surprised there is any wilderness left for us to plunder and ruin.
I recommend David's autobiography and also "Time for Change' as well as 'Naked Ape to Super Species'.
I tried to do my groceries today after all that. I could not bring myself to buy any meat. Or imported products. The vegetables all looked oversized and generic. The organic produce looked like it hadn't seen the sun in months and everywhere I looked I saw packaging, packaging, packaging. Very depressing!!!
My biggest struggle is to remain focussed on sustainability every single day and not to fall asleep at the wheel of advertising and corporations, politics and the economy. I said to my husband that all I can think of is to get a tattoo that says "Wake up Natalie!". Other suggestions are welcome!



Labels:

3 Comments:

At 12:19 AM, Blogger Alvaro Manzano said...

nice blog, you can visit mine if you want to mate, is www.alvarosportal.blogspot.com

 
At 4:30 PM, Blogger Kristen Doran said...

Look forward to the full update this week.

 
At 5:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice to find another Aussie.
You have come highly recommended from Cheeky Beaks.
I will add you to my Aussie Favourites and look forward to future blogs

 

Post a Comment

<< Home