Green Fox Barking

Thursday, October 05, 2006







DAVID SUZUKI

I am really excited that I'll be going to see a talk and slide show by David Suzuki next week. He's such a fantastic person and someone I really admire for his work as an environmentalist. This is supposed to be his last visit to Australia and I consider it a great privilige to see him in person. I have read three of his books and thought they were excellent. My youngest child aged seven has decided to come. I'm not sure how he'll take it all but I'm just excited he'll get to see this great man for himself. I can only hope it has a positive influence to his future life.

Australia is so backwards environmentally. Lately our Prime Minister has been heard mumbling something about climate change (finally) in regards to water conservation. Australia is only going to get hotter and drier and I'm sure Sydney is in for big water problems in the future. I personally protested against the idea of a local desalinisation plant but only because there are so many measures we need to make first. A desal plant will not educate anyone about water conservation but rather let people continue to go their merry water wasting ways. Get a water tank for every house, re-use grey water, police industrial water use and recycling.

The other day I saw something on the news that I thought was a candid snapshot of our western world wastage. From tip refuse some artist had created this enormous sculpture of a man. Think 100 foot high. It was made from chairs and bed-heads and other pieces of dumped furniture. But, none of the stuff looked broken. Just old fashioned, no longer needed or liked stuff. I thought about the stuff we all throw away every twice yearly household rubbish collection. So much perfectly good furniture is just trash. And what were they going to do with this artists three month labour of love? Burn it of course.

1 Comments:

At 8:17 AM, Blogger Tanya said...

I just blog-surfed my way to your site. I live in Townsville and saw David Suzuki's talk up here on Tuesday. It was fabulous - I'm so glad I went. He didn't say much that I didn't already know, but did say enough to get me all fired up again about the apathy of the developed world (and very much including Australia). I blogged about it too(www.purplegiraffes.worpress.com). Would love to hear what you thought about his talk.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home